Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Web 2.0

Classroom mini computers, projector, document camera, and large display screens have already changed my professional practice and student participation this fall. With less need for the copy machine, I find more need for jump drives, classroom websites, and student knowledge for sending attachments. Students who once attempted to sleep in class are now actively engaged until the bell rings for the next class. Having just scrapped the tip of Web 2.0 tools, I can only imagine student enthusiasm as we integrate podcasts, blogs, wikis, etc. into our classroom learning environment.
Many of my students come from low socio-economic backgrounds and have learning disabilities which have adversely affected their school lives for years. Having little access to technology on a personal level, bringing Web 2.0 to my classroom provides them with a leveling device for success as a human being in this 21st Century. Suddenly they can participate, create, and collaborate. As my students become more engaged in their own learning, many for the first time in their lives, I hope they can leave high school with as much knowledge of the Web 2.0 tools as we can gain together, an on-line resume for a future job or school, and the confidence to face their digital future. Why would I want to do anything less?

No comments:

Post a Comment