Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Time and A Season for Poe

After Mrs. Gillmore planted the idea of a Unit on Edgar Allan Poe, I spent my weekend reading and researching the possibilities. Once an avid reader of his works, I’m afraid I no longer welcome the uneasiness I developed this weekend at unusual sounds in the dark or unwelcome dreams in the night. However, this is definitely an element welcome to most teens. Stephen King’s Duma Key and Matthew Pearl’s The Dante Club are just two recent examples of authors influenced by Poe. On a Raven’s Wing: New Tales in Honor of Edgar Allan Poe by Mary Higgins Clark and nineteen other authors commemorates Poe’s 200th birthday. As Mrs. Gillmore indicated, Poe’s writing also provides insightful examples of the elements of writing to sneak in on the students. The web also offered numerous possibilities for integrating technology into the unit. Looking for short stories to introduce literature circles into my classroom this fall, the season truly is perfect for Poe. Thank you Mrs. Gillmore for sharing your idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment