Monday, January 11, 2010

Ann's Thing 8

Until this task I must say I had never heard of Creative Commons nor noticed “CC” on any websites. There is a huge potential here for students and teachers to use digital images, audio or video clips, and other content to further learning in the classroom without the danger of breaking copyright rules. The educator who owns one of the blogs I read for Thing 6 openly told her readers to use material from her blog. As I publish and post material on the web in my wikis and blogs, I welcome others to use the material to their greatest potential. As with the material I often find on the internet, remixing the material provides each user with a degree of personal ownership, and giving credit where credit is due, prevents the original owner from losing ownership completely.


Creative Commons provides users, my students, with alternatives to breaking copyright laws. As I shared the information from Thing 8 with my students prior to a class project, the change in their attitude about copyright laws was quite noticable. My students worked to locate digital images and video clips on the web with the CC logo. For the first time, they understood the difference in what was protected by copyright laws and what was available for their use. As we played with Flickr it was also easy for them to comprehend that as publishers, they may also want to share some photos and protect others from public use. I found, as did my students, Creative Commons the most user friendly for locating material.  Creative Commons sheds a whole new light on sharing.  Even Kermit the Frog can be successful and never break a copyright law. 



1 comment:

  1. We definitely need to share CC with our students and insist they be responsible and ethical. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete